(Matt 7:25-34) Dependence on God.
Today I pray for the grace of holy simplicity so that I may enjoy the simple things and depend only on You.
Simplicity is not poverty. It is living in joy. It is celebrating life. Simple living is hard work. For example, I almost always rely on material gifts to show my affection or appreciation of someone. I can learn from my youngest granddaughter who loves to ‘make’ presents for her friends. She tried to make me a bird house but I insulted her by telling her it looked more like a bench. Simplicity would have been to love it because it came from her hands. I do not know how to live simply, how to appreciate simplicity in people and their actions. I always think it needs to be complex to be of value. Yet, I see simplicity and love it in:
- nature, trees that know how to bow and dance for the Lord
- flowers that bloom in colors more resplendent than any jewel
- the smile of a loved one for no reason at all
- sitting in an outside rocker in companionship with a loved one
- preparing a favorite meal with my favorite sous-chef, my husband
- chatting with a grandchild about nothing . . . and everything
- a massage of the scalp
- a clean house on Sunday morning
- preparing the house for a holiday (with my daughter)
- baking with all the girls last Christmas, in our home-made aprons
- praying and writing and singing
- the sun’s warmth on my face
- resting outside in late afternoon with a gentle breeze, and the sound of children playing and laughing
All of these things, my Lord, have made me enjoy life. They cost nothing and were just there for joy. I need to see these “gems” of joy that You pop all over the place for my enjoyment because You love me. I have even gotten to appreciate the times that have no joy in them because of how You help me to walk through them, so that I can re-discover joy beyond these sad times. That also is a gift!
Like the big, beautiful trees in my backyard and the one outside my prayer window, I bow to You great Joy of my life. You give me a world of simple things that bring greatest joy. My heart is filled to bursting with gratitude; burning with desire to give back to You, all that I have, all that You have given me. That I should do Your will and hope to receive Your grace. That will be ‘holy simplicity’, and all that I need.
I pray for Your blessing on all I do today!