When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place. And suddenly from heaven there came a sound like the rush of a violent wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. Divided tongues, as of fire, appeared among them, and a tongue rested on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other languages, as the Spirit gave them ability. (Act 2:1-5)
Confirmation is one of the Sacraments of initiation into the Church, together with Baptism and Eucharist. The Bishop completes or confirms the Grace of Baptism by a special outpouring of the gifts of the Holy Spirit, which seal or “confirm” the baptized in union with Christ and equip them for active participation in the worship and apostolic life of the Church. (CCC 1285)
The understanding of Confirmation comes from reviewing the rituals of Baptism.
Below is important information for you as your child prepares to receive the sacrament.
- Masks are required for all attendants. Please ensure masks are brought with you, as they will not be provided.
- Sanitizing stations will be set up in the church.
- You will be required to check in all members of your party upon entry. Please arrive a little early since doors will be closed and locked at the scheduled time.
- There will not be a mass.
- Sacrament of Confirmation Certificates will be handed upon registration.
- One family member will be allowed to go up and take a picture as the candidate receives the sacrament.
- Candidates are to only have one sponsor go up with them.
- If the sponsor is unable to be there in person, another family member can step in as proxy.
- A Sponsor should:
Be Baptized and confirmed Catholic.
Be at least sixteen years of age.
Be one male and/or one female, although one Sponsor is sufficient.
Have a personal faith and prayer life centered in the Eucharist.
- A maximum of 6 people are allowed per candidate. This INCLUDES the candidate and their sponsor + 4 other people.
- The names of all party members MUST be provided before the event. Please send an email with all the names and phone numbers to Beatriz at SJC-Sacraments@gpcsd.ca. This will confirm your registration.
- Doors will open half hour prior to starting time. After you check in an usher will direct you to your seat.
- There will be no reception after event. We ask that everyone exit the church directly after the event. Ushers will direct you out row by row.
You can watch these videos with your children:
Note: these videos are from the US where candidates are sometimes asked to choose a new name for their Confirmation. We do not have this practice in Canada.
And if you are looking for some good faith-builder videos to watch as a family, there is an excellent trilogy on FORMED that talks about the power and love of Jesus and the early life of the Church. Please visit FORMED.org. 1. Click sign up. 2. Select “I belong to a parish or organization”. 3. Type in St. Joseph Grande Prairie. 4. Enter your email. 5. Search “The Witnesses Trilogy”.
If you have any questions, please contact Beatriz at SJC-Sacraments@gpcsd.ca or call 780-532-2351, ext. 228.
Registration for 2021
Please watch the following video for our Parent Sacramental Forum
Our Diocese makes the following recommendations:
Children in our Catholic schools are normally prepared for Confirmation and celebrate the sacrament in grade 6, or at about age 11.
Children who do not attend a Catholic school are prepared at St Joseph Church in the Parish-Based Program. Parents are required to attend the 6 sessions with their child. We advocate that parents are the first teachers of the faith. For now, sessions will be through Zoom meetings, dates and time to be announced.
Due to COVID-19, registrations for the sacrament of Confirmation will be online, from November 23 to November 29, 2020. Please fill out the form below.
If your child received the sacrament of Reconciliation and/or Eucharist in our parish, you do not need to provide a copy of the baptismal certificate again, nor mention the date of baptism.
Confirmation celebrations will take place after Easter. Dates to be announced.